This order mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag.
Your telephone number is optional, but highly advisable, as the quickest method for contacting the owner and returning a lost pet.
Certain dogs are exempt from having to wear a collar with identification:any pack of hounds,
- any dog while being used for sporting purposes,
- any dog while being used for the capture or destruction of vermin,
- any dog while being used for the driving or tending of cattle or sheep,
- any dog while being used on official duties by a member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces or Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise or the police force for any area,
- any dog while being used in emergency rescue work, or
- any dog registered with the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association.